Alter Existence: The World Within - "About" Blurb

Alter Existence: The World Within - "About" Blurb

Axel Sullivan was your typical man trying to make it in a mundane world of bad habits, new jobs, and that never-ending search for the perfect piece of ass. For him, life was in an endless routine of morning jogs, peanut butter sandwiches, 2nd shifts at a new security job and weekends out with his drunken cousin. With nicotine addiction as his only worry, Axel never really minded the monotonous existence he took part in. That was until he mysteriously wakes up in a world ruled by nature itself and his only way out is to destroy the human corruption he has been a part of for so long.

Alter Existence: The World Within - Book Cover

Alter Existence:  The World Within  - Book Cover
The book cover for the novel you are currently reading (created by yours truly)

Sunday, July 17, 2011

AE - Chapter 3


Chapter Three

“Damn it, Axel, why not?!”  Scott droned on the other end of the phone line.  It was a Friday, later on in the week.  I was sitting in the driver seat of my truck with the windows rolled down, letting the warm sun fill up the vehicle.  Waiting on Mandy to get there before starting in to work again, I made the mistake of answering my cell phone when it rang.
“No really, Scott, I don’t feel like going out tonight.”  I stated again.  This had been going on for a few minutes now.  I sat there, longer still, half-listening to all of the reasons Scott was giving as to why I needed to go out with him tonight.  Not one of them mentioned me taking care of his drunk ass, which was what always ended up happening.  As I sat there, I saw Mandy approaching in my rearview mirror, with a smile on her face.  She was probably just happy it was Friday; I know I was.
“TGIF Axel!”  She called as she came up to my window.  “Oh, sorry.”  She whispered, realizing I was on the phone.
“Don’t worry about it.  It’s just my dumbass cousin.”  I uttered, holding the mouthpiece with the other hand.  She laughed and then crossed her arms across the window frame and laid her head down, watching me with interest. 
“No, Scott.  I’m not going out.  I… uh… have plans.”  I muttered, still trying to get him to give up.  Mandy laughed.  She knew I was making up excuses, but Scott on the other hand didn’t quite catch on.  He was such an idiot.
“Put it on speaker.”  Mandy whispered, giggling.  Not asking why, I did as she suggested.  I could tell she was up to something.
“What do you mean you have plans?  Do you got a date or something?”  Scott’s piercing voice boomed through the truck.
“Uh… well…”  I didn’t know what to say.  I looked over to Mandy to see her giggling silently.  Then to my surprise, she began to nod her head, urging me to answer with a ‘yes.’  “Well, yeah, I actually do.”  I was countered with a long silent pause.  Mandy and I stared at each other in silence, waiting for the answer to our lie.  Our eyes were locked, and for a brief second I felt like we shared a moment between us.
“Axel, that’s really shitty.  You’re ditching out on me for some chick?  Who is she?”  Scott finally broke the silence.  Well shit.  I didn’t know what to say now.  Come on, Axel, think of a name.  Then it happened, the moment that could’ve knocked me on my ass had I not already been sitting.  In fact, had I not known better, I would’ve thought I was dreaming for when I looked back at Mandy she was pointed to herself and mouthing the word ‘me’ with a giggle.
“Uh… well… it’s uh… Mandy.”  I spoke a little too unconvincingly.  I think I was just still caught off guard was all it was.  I mean, was I imagining things or was Mandy putting the moves on me?
“What?  Mandy?  You mean that girl from work you’re always going on about?  Damn, Axel, I know you said she has a nice ass and all but how far you gonna go to get a piece of it?  If I were you I’d…”  I shut the phone immediately.  Fuck…
“So, I have a nice ass?”  Mandy inquired, serious all of a sudden.  Fuck… fuck…
“I seem to think so.”  I stated matter-of-factly.  What the hell did I just say?  Fuck… Fuck… Fuck!  I leaned back in my seat, preparing for a slap in the face or something.  But to my surprise, Mandy never moved.  She just sat there with her head lying on her crossed arms.  Then she looked up at me.
“Well I suppose that’s a compliment.”  She laughed and then stood up and looked at her watch.  “Anyway, it’s time to go.  And I’m having you go in before me because I don’t want to think about you ogling at my butt.”  She backed away from the truck door and smiled.  At that point, I knew I was in the clear.
“So you’re denying me what little pleasure I have at work?”  We both laughed as I opened the squeaky door and began walking to the building – in front of her this time. 
“All I can say is that your cousin must be a real idiot to believe that lie.”  She spoke behind me, not thinking another thing of it.  I figured as much – but I was prepared.
“Oh… you mean I’m not taking you out tonight?”  I said, a little down-hearted.  I suppose it didn’t take much to fake that.  Wow, did I really just make a move?  If she turned me down now, I was sure to be pissed the rest of the night.  “You don’t want to make me out to be a liar, do you?”  I inquired before she had a chance to answer.
“Well… no.”  She paused.
“Is that, ‘no, you don’t want to go out with me tonight’ or ‘no, you don’t want to make me out to be a liar’?”  I stopped and turned to face her, making her stop abruptly.  Looking up at me, her confused gaze turned to a smile.
“Well… I suppose the second.”  I’m not sure if she was embarrassed, or nervous, or what, but she kind of looked to her toes for an answer.  I guess the bright green nail polish peeking out from her sandals gave her an answer. “I’ll meet you at ‘Wasabi’s’ around seven.”  Spoken a little too quickly, I would say she was nervous.  Then she walked around me and to the door.  I turned around just in time to catch her glance back and smile.
With my thoughts floating about somewhere on cloud nine, I skipped my ritualistic smoke that day.

***

The smell of raw fish and seafood filled my nostrils with disgust as I sat alone in the little sushi bar.  I don’t even like sushi.  What the hell am I doing here?  For a small, hole-in-the-wall kind of place, it was booming.  Who knew that people liked sushi so much?  The dining room was warm and stuffy, which seemed odd to me considering everything was served raw.  Glancing around the room, I noticed plenty of red paper lanterns and terracotta warrior replicas spread out about shelves and ceiling.  Little scrolls and silk paintings decorated the wall beside each table.  The little scroll at my table was very plain and boring, but I couldn’t stop staring at it.  It had some sort of Asian letters painted in gold that probably said ‘Fuck you, stupid American’ for all I knew.
Pulling out my cell phone, I set it on the table to keep track of the time.  As the minutes continued to slip away, so did my hope for this night.  It was already 7:23.  I took a small sip of the saké in my hand.  Surely she didn’t stand me up… But as the time continued to pass, I began to think so.  I guess she didn’t strike me as that type. 
Suddenly, the table began to vibrate, waking me out of my trance.  What the…  Then I realized it was my cell phone receiving a message.  Quickly I flipped open the device and scrolled to the most recent of the messages.
Axel, gonna have to give a rain check.  Sorry.  Something big at the lab.
Well, needless to say I was disappointed.  But then again, I was a little worried too.  I was surprised that she was even still at the lab at this hour.  Maybe it was a matter of security?  In that case, why was I not there?  After calling for the check and paying for the small jigger of unfinished saké I found myself speeding down the winding dirt road to the science facility.
I just couldn’t figure out what could possibly be going on.  I mean, ‘something big’ could mean anything.  Normally, one would think that it could mean there was some big discovery in their research or something, considering it was a science lab after all.  But I didn’t see it as a lab that would be making life-changing discoveries or anything.  From what I understood, what they researched was the origin of natural occurrences and how they can be manipulated for the human advantage.  For example, Mandy had told me in the past that she was working on the essences of air flow and how it could be changed so there would be no more tornados or hurricanes.  Recently, they had been studying the creation of crude oil and how to speed up the process for human consumption.  It was all some really weird shit if ya ask me.  I always just thought nature controlled everything and that we had no say in it.  Shows what I know; I guess it was all just over my head.
I came to an abrupt halt in the parking lot and climbed out of the truck.  I saw Mandy’s SUV, Craig’s piece of shit, and a few other vehicles outside the facility, but nothing looked out of the ordinary.  Never can be too sure I guess.  Looking back in my truck for a weapon of any sort, the only thing I could find was a Taser in my glove box.  Well, I suppose it’s better than nothing.  Putting the device in my back pocket, I made my way into the building.
Inside, things seemed dead.  I didn’t see anyone or anything, and it was so quiet I could hear the annoying hum of the fluorescent lights above.  Strictly out of habit, I began to make my rounds.  I went down the main hall and all of the subsequent side halls, but couldn’t find anyone.  Next, I checked the small research rooms within the main facility, still no one.  Finally, I reached the main research area – a room that was off-limits to me unless in an emergency.  Well, I suppose this would be an emergency.  Pausing about ten feet from the large double doors, I contemplated getting fired over it.  Well, if Mandy is in there then I guess it’s worth it. 
Making up my mind, I started walking towards the entrance.  Suddenly, when I reached about five feet from the door, it opened.  I expected someone to walk through, but instead, it was something.  A small, bird-like creature, about the size of a chicken came scurrying out of the room and down the hall.  It was an array of greens, purples, and blues in color, which at first made me think I was seeing some exotic, tropical species of bird.  But then as it stopped dead in its tracks when it saw I was blocking its way out – I got a better look at him.    Well, it was exotic alright.  There were claws on its legs and feet, complete with one large toe similar to a raptor…interesting. It had some sort of hard shell on its back that resembled that of a turtle…okay. Then I noticed the long, reptile-like tail coming out from behind, concluded with an arrangement of stegosaurus spikes at the end… what the fu…
As I stood there in confusion, gawking at the creature in front of me, I didn’t notice that someone came running out of the double doors after the bird.
“Kenji, get back here!  It’s not time to go ye…”  I looked up to see Mandy, caught in mid-sentence, and staring at me in confusion – then panic.  “Axel!  What on earth are you doing here?”  She exclaimed with an angry whisper.  It was like she had completely forgotten about the bird as it scurried around my feet and down the hall.  Next thing I knew, I was being dragged by the elbow into a side room.  As soon as I was inside with her, I realized that it was actually a broom closet and it was a tight squeeze.  Mandy closed the door behind her and then she laid into me.
“Axel, what in the hell are you doing here?!”  She repeated yet again.  Why was I here? 
“I was worried about you.”  I muttered, not wanting to face her wrath.  I had thought I was being noble, but she made it very clear that I wasn’t.
“Axel, I told you that I was sorry for ditching you.  But something really big has come up and I couldn’t just leave.  We are on the brink of something amazing!”  Though still a whisper, I could hear the excitement in her voice.  Well, whatever floats your boat, I guess.  The more she began to talk, the more animated she got, but all I could focus on was how close we were and how every time she moved, her breasts pressed against me.  I suppose it was just the guy in me that kept noticing, but I just couldn’t help it.  God, I’m such a pervert.
“Are you listening to a word I’ve said?  You have to leave right away.”  She grabbed my shoulders, probably trying to get me to focus on what she was saying.  As she did so, a flash of bright green light went off all around me.  It was like someone was taking a photo and I was left seeing patches of yellow and blue circles behind my eyelids.
“What was that?”  I stammered, feeling a little lightheaded.  Putting my fingers to my temples, I tried working out the ache that was forming under the surface of my skull.  When I didn’t get an answer right away, I was worried that I was seeing things.  After another moment of silence and a few more doubts of my sanity, there was another flash of green.  This time, Mandy reacted.
“Shit!  It’s starting!”  Next thing I knew I was being pulled by the arm and back into the dimly lit hallway.  I could’ve sworn the lights were brighter than this.
“What happened to the lights?”  At this point, I was just stammering out any thought that came to mind.
“They’re taking power from the main supply for the reaction.  So all the lights are going to be dim and…”  She was interrupted by another flash of green.  “Why am I even wasting time telling you all of this?! You have to leave NOW!”  She ordered, pushing me away from her towards the way I had come.
Another flash of green blinded me as I turned back to face Mandy.  The flashes were becoming more consistent, giving my head less time to recover before being blasted by another burst of green.
“Mandy, I don’t understand.  What’s going o…”  My question was cut off short by her lips to mine.  I was shocked by her action, but nonetheless, I savored the moment.  The kiss was short, but oh so sweet, and it ended long before I desired.  As she pulled away, she put a soft, cold hand on my cheek and rocked back on her feet from standing on her tiptoes.
“Please Axel, just go.”  She spoke so quietly that I could barely hear her, but I could faintly gather that she was on the brink of tears.  “I’ll explain everything when I see you again.”
Okay, now I was confused.  If she wanted me to leave so bad, then why the hell would she kiss me?  I mean, not that I’m complaining, but as if all of the events of the evening… *Flash* … and that fucking green light giving me a migraine wasn’t enough, now this?  As I looked down into her dark brown eyes, I could tell that she was begging me to leave.  Reluctantly, I nodded in consent and began to walk back out towards the entrance.
“I’ll see you later then.”  I called back to her as I took a few steps backwards down the hall.  She raised a hand in a heart-rending wave.
“Goodbye, Axel.”  She whispered as tears began to stream down her face.  I wanted to run back to her.  I wanted to take her up in my arms and comfort her.  But it was too late now for she had turned away from me and went back through the main doors.  As I continued to walk back towards the doors another flash of green interrupted my thoughts.  Well, if I leave, at least I won’t have to deal with this flashing shit anymore.
Another green burst of light and then another and another.  Now, I’d never taken drugs before, but it was almost like I was walking through a strobe light and I was fixed on LSD or something.  All of the colors began melding together as if the edges of them were giving visible vibrations.  I was getting dizzy and my head spun around with the colors, leaving my body behind, trying desperately to catch up. 
Finding a wall to brace myself against I grabbed the sides of my head, trying to control the pain in my skull.  I wanted to scream out with agony.
Suddenly, I heard a terrible screeching noise from around the corner of the hallway.  The next thing I knew, that little Kenji bird from before came sprinting around the bend and down the hallway back to where Mandy was.  It flapped its wings and squawked in an ear-splitting manner, which did not help the head pain.  Man, something must have spooked that little guy – whatever the hell he is. 
Then I heard it, a large crash and deep screeching noise coming from around the corner.  Peering around the bend, through the painful strobe of flashing green, I saw the final scene that declared my insanity.  There before me stood three large reptiles and if I didn’t know any better, I would’ve said they were dinosaurs.  Two of the creatures were a foot or so taller than me and the third might have reached up to my chest.  I was guessing the smaller one was the baby of the two.  They were a strange combination of green and yellow-green, complete with white strips all over their bodies.  All of them had long snouts, limbs, and tails, but it was the large claw on their toes that caught my attention.  Now I’m not saying for sure that they were raptors or anything, but after seeing that talon, that was all I could think of.  And I’d sure as hell seen enough movies to know not to mess with these bad asses.  I felt my back pocket, resting my hand on the Taser that was there.  I knew there was no fighting them off with that little piece of shit.
That’s it… you’re crazy.  For some unknown reason, you’ve lost your mind.  I thought as I began to slowly back down the hall and into an empty room.  Better to just not be seen by them at all.  As I made my way into the room, I didn’t take my eyes off of the open doorway, who knew that would be the reason for my failure.  Next thing I knew, I was crashing into a table where all sorts of glass items fell to the floor, hitting with a loud shatter.  It seemed like slow motion for the way the green lights were flashing the illusion was that I could catch every one of them before they hit.  Too bad it was just an illusion.  Suddenly, I heard a loud, screeching roar from the hallway, and then another, this one was closer.  Shit!  The creatures were coming this way! And of course you have to pick the room with no door!
Quickly I glanced around for a way out, or at least somewhere to hide.  And then I saw it – a ventilation system just overheard above the table.  A little cliché, but you got to do what you got to do.  Hoisting myself up into the metal duct, I crawled away from the opening and just laid there, trying not to make a sound.  I heard the creatures approach the room, screeching and cackling in their throats, but at that point, I couldn’t even focus on them anymore.  The green light was almost a solid radiation of sorts now, splitting my head with immense pain.  My whole body began to feel hot and uncontrollably shaky.  I wanted to cry out, scream, anything, but there wasn’t even a sound within me. 
Then it was as if God heard my prayers, for the bright green energy was absorbed in a vivid blue glow.  The cool light enveloped over my skin, calming the shaking and heat. My heartbeat began to slow again and the pain from my head began to recede. 

Then everything went black.

No comments:

Post a Comment