Alter Existence: The World Within - "About" Blurb

Alter Existence: The World Within - "About" Blurb

Axel Sullivan was your typical man trying to make it in a mundane world of bad habits, new jobs, and that never-ending search for the perfect piece of ass. For him, life was in an endless routine of morning jogs, peanut butter sandwiches, 2nd shifts at a new security job and weekends out with his drunken cousin. With nicotine addiction as his only worry, Axel never really minded the monotonous existence he took part in. That was until he mysteriously wakes up in a world ruled by nature itself and his only way out is to destroy the human corruption he has been a part of for so long.

Alter Existence: The World Within - Book Cover

Alter Existence:  The World Within  - Book Cover
The book cover for the novel you are currently reading (created by yours truly)

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

S.L.J.V. - Chapter 18

Chapter Eighteen
Out of the Abyss

I followed in with the rest of the Luddite soldiers.  I wasn’t used to being the one to take orders – I used to be the one giving them.  However the last three months had left me broken and beaten down.  In fact, I was lucky I was even here.  But it felt good to be on the battlefield again.  I was ready for the killing to begin; I was ready for my sweet revenge.  Quentin would pay for what he had done to me.  They all would pay.
Our faction came in through the back after Airika and I knocked out the two guards at the gate.  On our own, we were pretty good, but together, she and I were deadly.  I suppose, depending on how all of this went, and if I stayed with the Luddites, then maybe her and I could end up being partners after all.  But she could never replace Danny.  No one could.  That surge from my subconscious made me wince with an invisible pain, but I didn’t let it hinder my abilities. 
We easily made our way through the building with little problems.  There were a few bullet wounds to some of the careless newcomers, but nothing serious and no fatalities.  The Luddites truly had the element of surprise on their side tonight.  The main objective was to get to the mainframe of the headquarters, kill all inside the control station, download all of the WATR data, and destroy the facility with as little casualties as possible.  It was all about the files, it was always about the files.  If we weren’t trying to download all of their information, they were trying to steal ours.  It was a never ending battle.
Our leader, Magner, called us all to stop in a dimly lit corridor full of branches to other corridors.  It was like a maze of sorts and they paused to check the digital map on their panel to see where we were located.  As we paused, I decided that now was as good as time as any to reload my pistol.  I was so pissed when Magner handed me this measly P99 semi-automatic from the ammunitions closet.  Apparently most of our weapons went down with the vessel 3 months ago, leaving us with very little firepower.  That was more than likely Quentin’s ploy behind the whole attack.  They fit as much equipment, firepower, and exceptional soldiers on that rig as possible.  Then they sunk it.  It dealt a huge blow to us Luddites – but it wouldn’t stop us.
As I knelt against a corner to another corridor, waiting for us to move, I heard voices and quick footsteps rush down the hallway at the other end.  “Mr. Trintas, this way quickly.  We will get you to the safe room with Jared and your personal guard.  Then we will sound the alarm.”
Shit! They knew we were here! 
I quickly whispered up to the front of the line to let Magner know.  “Magner, sir, they know we’re in the building.  A group of them just went down that hall there to sound the alarm.”  I explained clearly and quickly. 
“Fuck!”  Magner shouted, making all of us jump.  “Jade, you and Airika take care of those going to sound the alarm then make your way back to the control room to meet up with us.  The rest of you, come with me!  Remember to keep an eye out for Quentin Trintas.  We prefer that he’s kept alive – but he will be taken out of here either way.” 
Trintas… SHIT! It was Quentin that they were leading down that hallway.  I took off immediately, grabbing Airika’s arm as I rounded the corner with full speed.  She had heard the orders as well, but she had no idea that I had plans of my own.  As we ran, I heard someone call from a side hallway up ahead, and they were getting closer.  “Quick the alarm is up ahead!”  Little did they know that Airika and I were going to be meeting up with them at the next intersection. 
As they rounded the corner, so did we.  I immediately had one in a chokehold with the pistol to his head while Airika had the other man tangled up in his own arms with a knife to his throat.  One of the boys screamed.  And that’s what they were, they weren’t even adults. 
“Shut up!”  Airika shouted, shaking the boy in her grasp.
“Where’s Trintas?!”  I ordered from my hostage.  Airika looked up at me with questioning eyes, like I had betrayed her.  She should have known I had my own revenues from this mission.
“I’m not telling you anything!”  My little soldier stated trying to shake free from my grasp.  It wasn’t happening. 
“Don’t be a hero, Donny!” Did he say Danny?  My mind was playing tricks on me – but seriously what were the odds?
“Yeah, don’t be a hero Donny.  Just tell us what we want to know.”  Airika exclaimed, emphasizing the name so I would get out of my head and join her back in the present situation.  Then Donny spoke up.
“I would rather die a hero than tell you anything!”  He shouted out and spat at Airika.  How cliché. 
“Well Jade, you heard him.  This little fuck wants to die a hero.  You wouldn’t deny him that now would you?”  She was putting me on the spot, seeing if I would kill again.  I closed my eyes for only a moment to try and focus on why I was even there in the first place.  Then I saw my Danny’s face.  I saw those bright sea foam eyes staring down at me.  Then I saw him consumed by the fiery explosion on the ship.
“See, she doesn’t even have the guts to…”
Bang! Bang! Bang!  Then I turned the smoking gun on Donny’s little buddy.  “Now, do you want to join your friend here or are you going to tell me what I want to know?”  I threatened, placing the barrel against his forehead.  He was crying now, terrified under his military hat, and if I didn’t know any better, I would’ve guessed he had just pissed his pants.
“Do you think we’re bluffing!?”  Airika pressurized, pushing the blade against his skin, making a little nick just under the boy’s jaw line. 
“He… He… He’s up that hall!  The room on the end!  P…Please… Please don’t kill me!”  He stammered and cried so hard that I could barely understand him.  Wasting no time, I took the gun from his face and knocked him on the back of the head with it with brute force, sending him flaccidly to the floor.  Then I took off down the hall that they had just come from, seeing that door in my sights gave me a feeling that my revenge was within my grasp.
Hearing Airika’s footsteps right behind me, I stopped and spun around, catching her off-guard.  “Airika, this is my fight.” I simply stated.
“But Jade…”  She muttered.
“Airika, I appreciate everything you’ve done for me.  But you know why I have to do this alone.”  I looked into her ice blue eyes, pleading with her to understand as I loaded my gun for the final time.
“I’ll go back with the rest, Jade.  I’ll see you after.”  Airika droned on, not putting up much of a fight.  I could only assume that she had expected this all along.  She gave me a quick hug and then took off back the way we had come.  I took no time to delay this any longer.  Be with me Danny…  My subconscious echoed as I forced the locked door open with two shots to the hinges that held it into place.  I made my way inside to find Quentin standing alone in the middle of the room as if he had been waiting for me.
“Jade, my dear, I’m surprised to find you here!”  He exclaimed snobbishly as he clamped his hands together with delight. 
“And why the hell did you think I wouldn’t come looking for you!?”  I shouted, aiming my gun at his head.
“Why, Jade, I had assumed you had perished with Danny.”  He laughed, knowing that he was causing me pain by mentioning his name.  But what he didn’t realize was that he was lighting a fire of rage within me at the very same moment.  “And you’re here alone?  Couldn’t find anyone else worthy to be your partner?  No one to replace your precious Danny?”  He was cackling now at his own tormenting anecdotes.
“Of course I’m here alone.  This is our fight Quentin!  It’s just you and me, and I’m sure you’re intelligent enough to know the odds of this outcome!” I shouted out, ceasing his laughter.
“Now, see Jade, that’s where you have made a very critical mistake.”  He sneered as he looked past me.  I went to turn, but it was too late.  I felt the blow of a wooden object hit against the side of my head, sending me crashing to the floor.  My gun flew across the white carpet and out of sight.
I looked up, trying to clear my vision as my oppressor walked over to me.  This man was so tall and built he looked as though he was ready to burst out of his uniform.  His bright red hair stood out in my hazy world as he knelt down, pressed a wooden bat against my throat.  I tried to push him up off of me, but I didn’t have half of the strength he had.
“Come on now Zulu, give me a chance to get in on this!”  A boyish cry echoed out from the doorway.  As the owner of the voice made his way closer to me, I could make out that this was boy from the hallway that I had knocked out.  He had blood gushing out from under his cap, but he was still walking perfectly normal.  He stooped down beside me, as Zulu stood up, and took of his hat, revealing a blood-covered metallic skull plate where his hair should have been.
“Yazi… did you piss your pants?”  I heard a familiar female voice call from the back of the room.
“Ditto!  Nice of you to join us once again!  And yes… I pissed my pants.  It added to the whole ‘oh I’m so scared’ ruse.  And apparently it worked.”  He laughed as he grabbed a handful of my hair and stood me back up on my feet.  Ditto?  But she’s dead.  I killed her with my own hands.  As Yazi held me there, the woman walked over to me so I could get a good look at her.  It was Ditto, and to top it all off, she was wearing the same red velvet dress that she had been wearing the night that I killed her.  But how?!  I felt her fucking neck snap!
“Jade, darling, you seem surprised to see me alive.”  Her cackling echoed through my already-dizzy head.  “Did you think that you actually killed me?”  She teased kicking me square in the stomach, making me cough and wheeze.
“Ditto, this is the bitch that did that to you?”  Yuzi exclaimed unknowingly and she nodded.  Immediately, there was a smash of a metal skull butting me square in the back of the head, sending me to the floor again.  Once on the floor, Zulu took his enormous combat boot and started kicking me repeatedly in the ribs and stomach.  The next thing I knew, I was coughing and sputtering, painting the white carpet with my blood.  I have to admit I did a pretty good Jackson Pollock imitation.
“Enough of that you three, now stand her up.  Our preparations are complete.  We just await your orders, Quentin.”  A new voice, a gruff, unemotional voice, a familiar voice.  I looked over to see a tall man in a gray suit walk over to Quentin and hand him a small device. 
“Thank you, Jared.  You always have everything covered, don’t you?”  Quentin smiled as he marveled at the metallic object in his hands.  So this dark-haired man was Quentin’s right-hand.  Finally, I had met all of the faceless enemies from that night in the forest.
“Jade, my dear, you don’t understand all that we can do.”  Quentin began again after Yazi stood me up.  “After all we are WATR, named for the element which gives life.  We wash away all of the pain and suffering from this world.  We let people live in peace and comfort without having to lift a single finger in order get what they want.  We are their God!  What right do you have to take God away from them?  Why make them live with pain and suffering.  Why make them live in a world where they have to strive for what they want – perhaps never fulfilling their hopes and dreams?”  Quentin finished in his angelic tone.
“Why?”  I sputtered as more blood ran down the front of me.
“Yes, darling, I’m dying to hear your answer.”  He exclaimed sarcastically.
“Because you’re not actually letting them live!  None of the people that you supposedly help are actually living.  They’re just mindlessly going through their time on earth not living for the moment, not taking chances or risks, not striving for dreams!  They’re already dead, Quentin!  Can’t you see?  You’ve just created walking death.”  I coughed again. More blood.
“No, you dumb bitch, that would be a zombie.  And the last time I checked, we haven’t resorted to eating each other.”  Quentin laughed hysterically at his own joke and the others joined in.  “Now enough of this.  Apparently we can’t get through to you, my dear.  Such a shame too, you would’ve been a great soldier for us.  Hell, we may have even been able to bring your precious Danny back.  But I guess we’ll never know now, will we?”  He spat his words as he entered a code on the metal device he’d been holding and threw it at my feet.  “And don’t worry about destroying this base, Jade.  We’re already taking care of it.  Leave her.”  He instructed Yazi as I was thrown to the floor in a pool of my own blood.  Had I really bled that much?  Suddenly, an alarm began to sound followed by a mechanical voice announcing that detonation had been activated.  Destruction will commence in 7 minutes.  The voice echoed over and over in my mind.
“Quentin, we arranged for accommodations at the Sector 7 A.I. Facility in Rome.  I know how you love that city.”  I heard Jared call out above the alarms as they began to leave.
“Why yes, Jared, you sure know my tastes.  Not only do I love the rich history of that place, but they also have such a selection of wine.”  Quentin beamed at the thought, laughing as they exited out the back door.
I laid there for what seemed like forever, writhing painfully in my own blood.  The alarm was so loud and so constant that all of my thoughts were as muddled as my vision.  They must have really done a number on me this time.  The longer I lay there, the darker it got.  And I know that it wasn’t the lights that were dimming, but rather my consciousness and willingness to live.  Maybe it was supposed to happen this way.  I just prayed that I would see Danny on the other side.
“Jade?  Jade!”  I heard a voice call out over the siren, but I couldn’t make out who it belonged to. 
“Danny?” I said the first thing that came to my mind, followed by another pool of blood. 
“No you idiot!  What the hell happened to you?!”  Airika’s voice rang clear and shrill, sending a pang of pain shooting through my head.  But then suddenly, I didn’t feel the pain anymore as my mind went black.

No comments:

Post a Comment