Alter Existence: The World Within - "About" Blurb

Alter Existence: The World Within - "About" Blurb

Axel Sullivan was your typical man trying to make it in a mundane world of bad habits, new jobs, and that never-ending search for the perfect piece of ass. For him, life was in an endless routine of morning jogs, peanut butter sandwiches, 2nd shifts at a new security job and weekends out with his drunken cousin. With nicotine addiction as his only worry, Axel never really minded the monotonous existence he took part in. That was until he mysteriously wakes up in a world ruled by nature itself and his only way out is to destroy the human corruption he has been a part of for so long.

Alter Existence: The World Within - Book Cover

Alter Existence:  The World Within  - Book Cover
The book cover for the novel you are currently reading (created by yours truly)

Saturday, July 2, 2011

S.L.J.V. - Chapter 12

Chapter Twelve
Just Relax

We were told to just relax for the next few days as Jameson was out of the city and away on ‘business.’  So in the meantime, we reported to Magner, Jameson’s second in command.  Magner had finished training maybe a year before Danny and I.  He was one hell of a soldier, but severely misplaced in the leadership role.  Magner was more of the killing machine that we all were accustomed to, not necessarily the strategic thinker that he was supposed to be now.  But then again, I suppose we all changed our ways at some point.  Danny and I just hadn’t reached that point yet, and I hope we never did. 
It was strange to not have Jameson around getting us ready for out next mission and whatnot.  But I suppose it was okay to be under Magner, at least for the time being.  But then again, it’s not like we saw much of him either.  When we reported to Magner on our second day in Syndrick, were told to just relax.  How on earth do you tell two of your best assassins to just relax?  I mean, what the fuck, really?  I wanted Jameson back. 
I have to admit though, being forced to relax was doing wonders for my social life – at least with my niece and nephew anyways.  At the moment, Airika and I were heading down to the family pool with the two the little tykes, all of us adorned in our swimwear. 
“Tell ya what, Jadey-Lady, you take some time and do your laps and whatnot.  I’ll chill in the kiddy pool with the kids.”  Airika laughed as we hung up our towels on the wall hooks.  I bent down and put the little yellow inflators on Keeva’s tiny arms and held the button to blow them up.
“Airika, are you sure?  I mean, they are my responsibility and all.”  I tried to give her a way out, but secretly I was hoping I would get to swim some laps.  It had been too long since I pushed myself in a swim and I felt my upper body growing weaker from the lack of activity.
“Really it’s fine.  I can’t swim anyway so the kiddy pool seems like a nice fit for me.  Plus, you guys wouldn’t mind hanging out with your buddy Airika now would you Killian?”  She teased as she ruffled up Killian’s hair.
“Yeah, Jadey-Lady, you go swim.  We will chill with cousin Airika.”  He laughed, giving her a thumbs up.  It’s funny how much they had bonded in just a few days.  He had even adopted her nickname for me – he thought he was Mr. Cool.  I silently watched as Airika took Killian and Keeva over to the little pool off to the side.  They would splash around for hours if they were given the chance.  But I promised their mom that we’d all be back in time for lunch.
I made my way over to the deep end of the water.  The air was thick with humidity and chlorine.  Feeling the mugginess on my skin made me relax as I mounted the diving step.  I breathed deeply… in and out, in and out, in and… I dove in.  As I swam down the lane, I could see the little air bubbles departing from my skin in a ballet of effervesce.
I reached the end of the lane, kicked off from the wall and pushed off again, heading back to the end of the pool from which I came.  All of this was routine once more, letting my mind wander.  Or, at least I thought my thoughts would get a chance to wander.  As I made my way back to the other end of the pool, I found a pair of legs dangling over the edge and they were in my way.
“Hey, girl.  See you haven’t lost your swimming fortes in the past few days.  I know that you were worried about being out of practice and all.”  Danny laughed.  I should’ve known that I couldn’t be away from him for a half hour before he came searching for me.  I stopped my laps and treaded the water in the deep end.
“What in the world is so important that you have to interrupt my swim time?”  I chided, even though I actually was annoyed. 
“Just wanted to see your gorgeous body in that two piece, ya know?”  He called sarcastically, but I saw through his bluff.  Of course he wanted to harass me, that’s what he did best.  I had no words to retaliate, so I decided that a splash of water would do.  Danny had nowhere to go, and immediately, and with only one large wave of water, his was soaked through.  We both laughed for the longest time.
“Anyways, Miss Vanitshi, I wanted to come tell you that Jameson returned just this morning.  He wants to see us this afternoon for our report and to designate our next assignment to us.”  He finally informed me.  Well that made more sense than him coming to just check me out.  Or, did it?
“Okay.  I’ll finish up here and then have lunch with the kids.  Then we can head down to the conference room.”  I motioned for Danny to move so I could get up out of the pool.  He got up and walked over to the wall to grab my towel as I pulled myself up and onto the edge of the water.  He came over and draped the cloth over my shoulders as he walked over to the kiddy pool to give Airika the heads up of the situation as well.  I could tell the kids were really disappointed so I walked over to comfort and reassure them that we could come back later.
“Now come one, Killian, Keeva, I don’t want to see sad faces.”  I ridiculed their pouting faces as I reached the edge of their splash zone.  “If we all promise to come back later tonight can we go have our lunch now?”  I inquired with a high voice than usual.  They had a hard time telling me ‘no.’  But then again, I had a hard time saying the same thing to them.  Reluctantly they agreed and we headed back to Niamh’s apartment for lunch.
When we reached the apartment, Airika and the kids ran inside to smell of grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup.  As I went to go in the door, I felt Danny’s hand brush the small of my back.
“So, I’ll catch you later then?”  He whispered as I turned to face him with the door still ajar.  His hand was still on my lower back, making us impossibly close as we said our goodbyes.
“Hey!  Danny-Boy should stay for lunch!”  I heard Killian call from the dining room table with a mouthful of bread and gooey cheese. 
“Nah, I should probably go, girl.”  He muttered as Keeva ran up to us and began tugging on Danny’s wet jeans.
“Why don’t you stay, Dan?  I’d like it if you would.”  I smiled as I grabbed his hand and pulled him inside to grab a seat.  The whole time I was leading him to the table, Niamh was scrutinizing me mockingly.  Of course, I gave her a dirty look and ignored her the rest of the time. 
Lunch went well except for about the time the chocolate pudding came into play.  Apparently at that time it was Killian’s moment to begin with all of the questions. 
“Hey Jade!  Jade!  Jade, is Danny your boyfriend?”  Of course he would ask that.  I, of course, didn’t answer, but I felt all eyes on me.  I wanted to avoid all of the stares as much as I wanted to avoid that question.  So I just continued to stare at my pudding, playing with the chocolate goodness with my spoon, as dear Danny decided to take it upon himself to try and clear up Killian’s question.
“We are just really good friends, Killian.  That’s all for now.”  Danny said matter-of-factly, trying to end the conversation.  But that answer wasn’t good enough for the 5 year old.
“But I know you really like Jade.  I heard Mommy talking to you.”  Killian retaliated.  Great, here we go.
“Yes, Killian, I care for her very much, but that’s all the farther it goes.”  I know Danny was just trying to end the questioning, but the words were still harsh in a way. 
“Jadey-Lady, do you like Danny?”  Killian pried further.  Too far.
“Sorry, I need to go to the restroom.”  I lied as I stood and excused myself from the table.  I felt all eyes on me as I went back towards the restroom and instead went into Keeva’s room.  I just didn’t want to talk about it.  Not right now. 
I sat there on the floor for a little while, holding my up knees into my chest, surrounded by butterflies, little pink ponies, and doll babies.  Then the fateful knock came to the door frame.  I didn’t look up, but I knew it was Danny.  It was always Danny. 
He sat down beside me without a word, but handed me my small bowl of pudding as an act of peace.  I smiled and took the bowl in my hands as I looked up into a vast deepness of sea foam.
“Sorry if I upset you, girl.”  He finally said, knowing he had me locked in his eyes.
“It wasn’t you.”  I muttered, playing once again with my spoon.
“I know that Killian didn’t mean to either.  He’s 5, he doesn’t know the sensitivity of his questions.”  He defended my nephew, but he really didn’t need to.
“It’s not him either, Danny.  I’m just upset with myself.”  I sputtered out, then finally I took a bite of the now chocolate goo, buying myself a moment to think how I wanted to word my next explanation.  I felt that I was doing a lot of that lately.  But I guess I always felt good afterwards, so it didn’t bother me so much anymore. 
“I just do not like how things are right now.  It’s like, I want to like you, I really do, and everything screams out that I should.  It’s just that… I don’t.”  I murmured, straight to the point.  I was honest, but I knew it hurt Danny, and that’s the last thing I wanted to do.  I took a quick glance in his direction to see that he was no longer looking at me, but instead, he was staring at the floor.  His eyes were telling a story that showed the confusion taking place in his thoughts.  I’m sure he was happy to hear that I wanted to care for him, but at the same time, he was cut through by the fact that I didn’t.
“At least, not yet, anyway.”  I whispered as I kissed him on the cheek.  I’m not sure why I said or did it.  I was just stringing him along again on a chain that never found an end.  I guess I just didn’t want to see him hurting.  And if that meant giving him a false hope to something that may never be, then that’s how it was going to be. 
I could tell that he was trying not to smile, but when he looked up at me, he lost that battle.
“I’ll take that, girl.”  He stated as Killian came running into the room.
“Jadey-Lady, I’m sorry I made you sad.”  He cried out as he ran into my lap, nearly sending the pudding flying.
“Oh, Killian, you didn’t make me sad.”  I returned as I squeezed him with my free arm.
“Good! Because I don’t want you to be sad!  But Mommy said I should come in here and tell you that ‘Jamiesin’ just called up and wants to talk to you.”  He stumbled through the message.  I looked over to Danny as he stood up.
“Well nothing better to brighten our day than a debriefing and new assignment, am I right?”  Danny laughed as he gave Killian and I a hand and pulled us both to our feet.
Only 10 minutes later, we had debriefed to Magner per Jameson’s request.  Now, why we hadn’t debriefed with Magner a few days ago when we first got there, I don’t know.  Not to mention, if Jameson was back, why weren’t we debriefing with him instead of his second in command?
“Okay, seriously, what the fuck is going on here?  Everyone is so secretive and shit about Jameson.”  Danny complained, slumping back in his chair when Magner left the room.  “Are we just going to sit here while everyone around here jerks our fucking dicks around.  I’m sick of waiting for orders and I’m sick of being left in the fucking dark!  Where the fuck is Jameson?!”  Danny was irate.  But then again, he was just saying out loud what I was feeling inside.  But then, his question was unexpectedly answered.
“Pardon my quotation, Danny, but I don’t believe that we are ‘jerking your fucking dicks around.’  And to answer your question, I’m right here.”  Jameson’s voice sounded from behind our chairs.  Immediately, Danny and I were on our feet at attention.  I bet Danny felt like an ass – I know I did.  It took an unusual amount of time for Jameson to come into view, but when he did, we saw why.  The past five years had not been kind to him and what was before us was shocking and appalling. 
At first, I would have mistaken him for an AI soldier.  In fact, I didn’t know if he was more man or machine.  Nearly half of his body had been replaced with technological body mechanisms.  Danny and I didn’t know what to say.  To see our leader against the WATR looking like one of their test subjects left us completely and totally stunned.
“As you can see, a lot has changed since you’ve been to Syndrick.”  He said referencing his abnormally mechanical body.  “But enough of that.  For your next assignment you will be traveling out of the country and into our neighbor to the north.  We’ve just received intelligence from one of our undercover agents that there is an AI manufacturing plant near New Toronto.  You will be leading a team of our finest men and women to destroy the facility.  Departure will be in two days.  That will give you enough time to get the team assembled and all arrangements made.”  The orders were a blow to the life I had grown accustomed to in the past few days.  In fact, I had a hard time even imagining the goodbyes the kids and I would have to have. 
“That is all.”  Jameson stated, waking me from my thoughts and sending us out of the room.  As we made our way to the door, a tall man in a white suit came in, blocking us from our exit.  He was pale with curly blonde hair and behind his glasses were dark brown eyes the color of rich root beer.
“I come bearing good news, Jameson.”  The man’s overzealous shrill voice sounded.  “I have arranged for the transportation of your troops.  There is a passenger vessel heading towards New Toronto in two days’ time.  I’ve arranged for 25 of those passengers to be from the Luddite faction.”  This voice was so familiar, I just couldn’t place it.  It was high pitched and arrogant, but not familiar enough for me to place it.
“Excellent Mr. Trintas.”  Jameson spoke, very pleased with this Mr. Trintas’ prearrangements.  “I’m sorry, let me introduce you to the two that will be leading this expedition.  This is Miss Jade Vantishi and Mr. Daniel Winterode.”  It was weird hearing our full names in introductions.  Danny reached out and shook the man’s hand.  Then the nameless man turned to me and took my hand. 
“My dear, how rude of me…”  He paused, bowing down and kissing my knuckles.  “My name is Quentin Trintas.  I am very pleased to meet you.”  He finished as he stood again and released.  I prayed that the look on my face didn’t change, but it had dawned on me just then where I had heard this man’s voice before.
“Well if we are through with the introductions, Jade and I have a lot of preparations to get started on.”  Danny’s saving grace got us out of there in no time.
As soon as we were out of there and into the elevator, I went to cut loose with my personal discovery.  However, Danny already knew what I was thinking.
“Let me guess, Quentin is the fuck from the other night at the base?”  Danny questioned with more irritation than inquiry.  I nodded.
“I knew I recognized that voice form somewhere.  Then the second he mentioned his name I knew who he was.”  I stated.
“Yeah, so the only question is – is he a WATR undercover for them or a legit infiltrator for us?”  Danny wondered out loud.
“I think given the situation, we should discuss this with Jameson as soon as we have the chance.”  I suggested.
“Yeah…”  Danny sighed, still pondering something. 
“Danny, what’s up?”  I pried.
“It’s nothing really.  But Jade, could you make me a promise?”  He was serious all of a sudden. 
“Well that depends.”  I was hesitant on where this was going with this – given Danny’s track record and everything.
“If something happens to me and it comes down to me dying or ending up like Jameson, just let me die.  Could you do that for me?”  He begged, solemnly.  When I didn’t answer right away, he felt that he needed to justify his request.  “You see, girl, here is the way I look at it.  We’ve been fighting in this endless battle for many years now, right?  The Luddite faction that we are part of is supposedly against all use of technological dependency.  In other words, we are against letting technology take all the hardships away from us and therefore we are against letting it take over our lives.  Then Jameson has the audacity to go and use high tech mechanisms for his own needs.  I mean sure, maybe he would’ve died had he not taken on the machines, but what does he really stand for now?  If I were in his place, I would’ve rather died, standing for what I believe in rather than giving in to something that I’ve fought against for the past 8 years.”  Danny finished as the elevator doors opened back to our floor.
I never did have an answer to his request, but then again he never did ask again for that reassurance.  But as we made our way back to his room to plan for departure, Danny did make me realize something.  Where he couldn’t live with technological dependence, I realized that I couldn’t live without him.

No comments:

Post a Comment