Alter Existence: The World Within - "About" Blurb

Alter Existence: The World Within - "About" Blurb

Axel Sullivan was your typical man trying to make it in a mundane world of bad habits, new jobs, and that never-ending search for the perfect piece of ass. For him, life was in an endless routine of morning jogs, peanut butter sandwiches, 2nd shifts at a new security job and weekends out with his drunken cousin. With nicotine addiction as his only worry, Axel never really minded the monotonous existence he took part in. That was until he mysteriously wakes up in a world ruled by nature itself and his only way out is to destroy the human corruption he has been a part of for so long.

Alter Existence: The World Within - Book Cover

Alter Existence:  The World Within  - Book Cover
The book cover for the novel you are currently reading (created by yours truly)

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

S.L.J.V. - Chapter 24


 Chapter Twenty-Four
The Finale

Only two weeks later I found myself on a train back to Syndrick.  I sat alone in the cabin, watching the world outside fly by with immaculate speed.  It was enough to make me sick, but catching even a glimpse of the green landscape gave me something to enjoy before we were back in the city; the place that reminded us of the cruel reality that awaited us.
Jameson had ordered us back to the base the very second that Danny was released from the hospital.  It was like it was all planned out and we had no say in the matter.  As soon as the doctor gave us the word that Danny was good to go, our transportation to the train station was waiting at the door.
The ride back was a somber one for all three of us.  Something dark was waiting for us, we felt that, we just didn’t know it was.  I’m not sure why we all felt that way, but our moods were definitely down from our last trip home.  I couldn’t speak for the rest, but I think it was the mere sense of reality kicking in that got to me.  I knew that the moment we got back it would be another mission and then another and another.  Hell, it probably wouldn’t end until the day they put me in the ground.  And I’m not sure why this got me so depressed all of a sudden.  This was what I lived for – this was what I was made for.  Maybe my emotions for Danny were getting in the way after all.
The door to the compartment shifted open and through it came Danny and Airika.  They had gone out to grab a bite ‘to-go’ since we were nearly there.  Danny handed me a turkey sandwich and as his fingers brushed mine our hands lingered there, soaking up the mere touch of the other’s skin.  Airika didn’t seem to notice and we wanted to keep it that way.  It was our personal relationship after all, and we wanted to keep it that way – personal.
“Man, this food sucks compared to our last train ride!”  Airika complained, making Danny and I jump slightly, releasing our sway on each other.  “I hope your sister makes us some of that grilled cheese when we get there.”  She continued hinting in my direction.
“I’ll be sure to let her know when we get there.” I laughed.  “Grilled cheese would sure as hell taste better than this shit.”
“Yeah, I think I preferred the hospital food.”  Danny joined in.  And for a brief moment, it was like old times again.
***
Jameson stood before us as we came through the doors to the Syndrick base.  So much for holding on to my dream world for just a little longer.  Go ahead and welcome us back with the slap of the cold, hard reality straight to the face. 
“You three come with me.  We’ve been waiting on your arrival.”  Jameson quickly stated and turned away, heading straight for the entrance to the underground facility. 
“Geezy Cow!  You call that a greeting.  No ‘Hey Jade, glad to see you’re doing okay.’ No ‘Hey Danny, I’m glad that you’re not dead!’” Airika began to yell out as Jameson pressed the key on the entrance.  She crossed her arms and glared at the back of his head until he turned around.
“Airika, you never were shy were you.  I apologize.  There are a lot of issues on the table right now and it seems that I have forgotten my manners.  I am glad that all of you are here, alive and well.  Now, can we make our way to the conference room?”  It was almost like he was asking Airika’s permission, which truly made me laugh on the inside.
“Well if you call that a welcome.  Whatever.”  Airika breathed as she uncrossed her arms and led the way to the elevator.  All Danny and I could do was follow, laughing to ourselves as we went.  It was a front though; deep down I’m sure neither of us were laughing.  If something had gotten Jameson this riled up then it must be big.
Moments later, we were in the conference hall surrounded by many other top-ranked soldiers, as well as military officers, some I recognized but many I didn’t.  Apparently they had all been waiting on us, for as soon as we sat down, Magner took the front and began.
“This meeting has been assembled due to some recent intelligence that has leaked in our direction.  It has recently been discovered that the leaders of the WATR faction, Quentin Trintas and Jared Subarante, have taken a more permanent refuge at their Roman base in Italy.  This could be our chance to end all of this once and for all.  We are planning a full-scale attack on their headquarters one week from today.”  There was some grumbling that followed, but one voice stood out against the murmur.
“Are you out of your fucking mind?!”  Everyone hushed, including me.  It was then that I realized I had stood up and yelled out against a commanding officer.  Well hell…
“Jade Vantishi, who do you think you are to go against an order with such crudeness?”  Magner spat back with fury in his eyes.
“Let her speak, Magner.  I owe her that much.  She and Mr. Winterode here tried to warn me about Trintas in the first place and I cast their forewarning aside.”  Jameson had spoken up to defend me.  That of course left me dumbfounded and sadly, speechless.
“Well, Miss Vantishi, we’re waiting.”  Magner began – truly pissed off.
“I just know that this is a big mistake.  I feel like a full on attack would lead to unnecessary casualties.”  I fumbled through my answer, not really knowing what point I was trying to make.
“Do you think ending this war is a waste of time?”  He sputtered back, twisting my words in the process.
“No sir.  I just feel like this is a trap.  I mean, why else would you just now find out about this when they relocated there over a month ago?”
“You knew about this Vantishi?”
“Yes sir.  They had made the accommodations before our raid on the base in New Toronto.  I heard Jared say so when they escaped.”  Shit… I was just digging my hole deeper and deeper.  I had forgotten how much they didn’t know from my previous mission.
“Trintas and Subarante were at the New Toronto facility?”  Magner’s anger was truly beginning to show.  “And they escaped?!”
“Yes sir.  I was against the two of them as well as their three personal guards.  One of them is a reconstructed AI. I was…”
“I don’t want to hear any more of this Vantishi.  We will discuss your violation of orders at a later time.”  Suddenly, it was like there were other people in the room again.  For a moment, it had felt like it was just Magner and I.  I’m sure if it were just him and I he would have really let me have it.  “Will you just sit down.  You’re embarrassing yourself.”  Magner ordered me.  I took my seat and met Danny’s gaze.  He was amused and his eyes were dying of laughter.  I could only help but briefly smile as well.  Man, you really made an ass of yourself today.
“As I was saying, a week from today we will be attacking the base at nightfall.  A full scale attack will most likely be necessary as I’m sure they will be heavily guarded and…”
“Ahem.”  Someone cleared their throat in a very exaggerated manner.  I looked over to see Danny with his hand nonchalantly in the air.  Magner let out an exaggerated sigh to match.
“Mr. Winterode, I must say it’s good to see you alive and well.”  I glanced over to see Airika giving Jameson an I-told-you-so glare and then she stuck her tongue out at him.  That girl never ceases to amaze.  “You have something to add?”
“Magner, didn’t this facility you keep talking about used to be the top A.I. manufacturing site in the world?”
“That’s correct, Winterode.  But our sources have deemed it completely inactive.”
“I’m just saying that who’s to say that they have this thing up and running and we just don’t know about it.  I mean, like Jade said, we could be heading into one big death trap.”  Everyone began to murmur again.  We were all worried of the unknown.  Magner was still angry but I think it was more from the fact that he could be making a huge mistake and he didn’t like the odds.
“You’re an experienced soldier, Winterode, and one of our best if I would say so myself.  What would you have us do?”  Magner exclaimed as he sat down.  It was almost as if in that little amount of time, Magner went from a bull-headed, strong leader to a defeated, hopeless one.
“I would go ahead and organize a full attack – just as backup.  Send in a handful of your best fighters to scope everything out and perhaps even take care of the situation at hand.  If things get out of control, then you would make the call to send in the rest or withdraw.  But that’s just my idea.  The final call is yours.”  Danny spoke his idea like he’d planned for days.  But we all knew he pulled it right out of his ass.
“I think Mr. Winterode has just the blueprint we needed to get this thing rolling.  Wouldn’t you say, Magner?”  Jameson spoke up enthusiastic.  I wasn’t sure if he was truly on Danny’s side or if he was still trying to make up for the fact that he screwed Danny over with the Trintas situation.  Either way, the vote was unanimous.
“And I suppose you would be willing to be one of the select few, Danny?”  Jameson assumed.
“Only the best, sir.”  Danny mocked.
“Then it’s settled.  Winterode, Vantishi, and Oishin you’ve proved yourself enough times to take this on.  That is, if you’re willing.”  Danny, Airika and I all stood and saluted with a ‘Yes, Sir!’ As if we didn’t see that coming.  “The rest of us will be on the sidelines awaiting your call.”  With that, we were told that we had two days in Syndrick before we would travel to Italy.  No sense in settling in.  In fact, I even debated not going to see Niamh and the kids.  But I just couldn’t do that to them.
When Niamh opened the door, the three of us were greeted with an eruption of screaming and a stampede little feet.  And through the suffocation of hugs I could smell the familiar scent of grilled cheese in the room.
“Oh! How did she know?!”  Airika screamed as we were invited in for a light ‘family’ dinner.
***
“Well, Jade, I have to say that you look much better than when you left here.”  Niamh’s hushed voice spoke overtop of her steaming mug of tea.  It was late the kids had already went to bed.  Danny was in the living room discussing military plans with Liam and Airika was passed out on the floor of Killian’s room.  He was her little buddy after all; it was only right for them to tell each other scary stories until they fell asleep.  But the whole concept made me laugh anyway. 
“Yeah, I know.  I feel much better anyway.”  I mumbled as I took a sip of the hot liquid myself.
“Something’s different about you.”  She muttered, more to herself than to me.  I pretended not to hear her.  “What’s happened?”  She inquired, a little more pronounced this time.
“I suppose a near-death experience would do something to ya, huh?”  I smiled.  It was true in more ways than one.  Then finally, I hear Danny approach – giving me an out of the conversation.  It wasn’t that I didn’t want to talk with my sister, but I knew if we kept it up, she’d see through me in a heartbeat.
“Hey, girl, I’m heading to my room for the night.”  Danny announced as he came over to the table where we were sitting and placed a hand on my shoulder.  I didn’t look up at him, for fear of giving it all away.
“If you don’t mind, I’ll be over in a while to take your spare bed.”  I acknowledged with a brief glance at his hand and then back at Niamh.  Wrong move.  Niamh returned my gaze with the sputtered and choking of hot tea being sucked in with a gasp.
“No prob, girl.  I’ll leave it unlocked.”  And with that he was gone, leaving me to face the wrath of a sister’s curiosity.   He had barely shut the door behind him when she began.
“I swear I wasn’t going to say anything about the matter because it’s none of my business.  But, Jade?”  She was staring so intently on me that I was afraid to breathe.
“Huh?”  God, I suck at hiding shit.
“Don’t ‘huh’ me, Jade Vantishi.  You and Danny… don’t you dare lie to me.”  She warned.  It’s not like I could lie to her anyway.  She’d see right through it.
“I’m not lying.”  I simply stated as I stood and made my way to the door.  “Thanks for dinner, Niamh.  I really enjoyed spending time with…”  I was cut off with a pair of arms being thrown around me from behind.
“Finally.  I’m so happy for you, sis.”  Niamh praised.  I, however, couldn’t take the hint and continued to play dumb.
“Niamh, I don’t know what you’re talking about.”  With that, she grabbed my shoulders and jerked me around to face her.
“Tell me that you’re not in love with him. You look me straight in the eye and try it, I dare ya.”  She exclaimed, peering through me again.  I couldn’t say anything.  I couldn’t lie and I couldn’t put it off.  I thought it best not to say anything at all.  But as Niamh continued to intently peer into my eyes all I could do was smile.  “That’s exactly what I thought.”  She exclaimed triumphantly. 
“Good, now can we just keep it at that?”  I begged as I made my way for the door, grinning ear to ear.
“Hey Jade,” Niamh took on a serious tone again, causing me to pause and turn around.  “Just promise me that you’ll come see us again before you leave, okay?”  It was hard not to comply with her request.  After all, this was the only family I had.  I nodded to answer and then left.
Just as Danny promised, I found his door to be unlocked. 
“That was quick, girl.”  I heard Danny call from the kitchen as he came out, shirtless and in his boxer shorts, munching on a pop tart.  “Pop tart?”  He said with a mouthful, holding up what was left of the pastry.  I shook my head with a smile and sat down on the dark brown love seat across from him.  “So what’s up, girl?  You kinda look distracted.”  He inquired, swallowing the last of his snack.
“Niamh figured us out.”  I sighed.
“Well we both knew she would.”  He laughed and walked over to where I was sitting.  “I suppose it’s not a bad thing though.  I don’t see her announcing it to the whole world, ya know?”  He reassured me as he reached out with both hands.  I took his offer and stood up, my hands still within his.  “Now, I don’t know about you, but it’s been a long day.  I’m gonna head to bed.” 
“Where do you want me to sleep?”  I joked as he began to lead me towards his room.  He smiled and paused, leaning in to meet my lips.
“Like you even had to ask.”  He kissed me again, lingering in the moment.  I savored the taste of strawberry on his lips, but hated the fact that it masked his own unique flavor.  The kiss ended with a sudden yawn on Danny’s part.  “I’m sorry, girl.  I guess I really am sleepy.”
We made our way to the bed and Danny took one side of the bed and pulled back the covers.  I began to do the same, but Danny stopped me.
“Girl, you don’t have to sleep fully clothed.  Come on, I’ve seen you more naked than that.”  He laughed as he crawled under the covers, still eyeing me intently.  I’m sure he was seeing how far I would go.  But the thing was, it didn’t bother me in the slightest.  He probably knew that too.
Shrugging my shoulders, I unbuttoned my pants and let them fall to the floor.  Of course, I just had to be wearing a pair of silky, black hip huggers – that didn’t help the situation.  Next, I took off my outer t-shirt, revealing a short, dark green tank top underneath.  Leaving the tank in place, I slipped my hands up the back of the material and unfastened my bra, letting it fall to the floor from under my shirt.  I heard Danny hold his breath as I removed the clothing.  Who knew what he was expecting.  But I didn’t give him a chance to comment; instead I slid down into the covers next to him.
Turning on my side to face him I noticed that he was no longer looking at me, but was lost within his own mind and staring at the ceiling.  His arms were behind his head, supporting his neck.  Looking closer, I saw a newly healed wound underneath his left bicep.  Another injury from the explosion.  I ran my fingertips along his warm skin, feeling the raised skin under my touch.  At this, Danny turned his head to face me and smiled.
“Is everything okay?  You disappeared for a little while.”  I softly spoke.
“Yeah, I was just thinking.  You know, I do that from time to time.”  We both laughed a bit, but there was more to it than that.  When I did speak, he felt the need to elaborate.  I was grateful for that, because I didn’t want to have to ask.  “It’s just… now don’t take this the wrong way… but I’m wondering if we’re doing the right thing.” 
“What?”  I inquired, raising my head off of the pillow.  I was very confused and at first I had thought he was talking about us.  But I was very relieved when he continued.
“I mean, don’t get me wrong, girl, I love what I do.  I love being a soldier and I like to think that I’m pretty damn good at it.  But here’s the thing, we’ll go in and kill Quentin and all his henchmen and that is all fine and good, don’t get me wrong.  But there will just be someone else to take his place.  The war is not gonna end with just this battle.  Hell, this war may never end.  And, I don’t know, I’m beginning to feel like this is all a waste.  I really don’t even know what we’re fighting for anymore.”  I was actually surprised to hear all of this coming out of his mouth.  But stranger still, I felt myself agreeing with him.
“I understand exactly what you’re saying.”  I stated.
“Really?”  Danny seemed amazed himself as he turned on his side to face me with his whole self.
“Well yeah, of course I understand.  I mean, everyone is using technology now.  And we’re supposed to be fighting against technological dependence right?  But, we are using technology too.  Look at our weapons, look at our devices, hell, look at Jameson and…”  I paused before I said what else was on my mind.  It just kind of started to slip. Unfortunately, Danny caught on.
“Look at me, huh?”  He laughed a little, but I could tell it was hurting him.
“Well, yeah.  Look at you, Danny.  You’re alive because of the technology in your body.  And I wouldn’t have it any other way.  You are alive.  That’s all that matters anymore.”  I recovered quickly, which wasn’t hard to do considering it was all the truth.
“You know, you’re right.  Before I think I would’ve rather died than be full of this shit.  But Jade, you make it all worth it.  You make me want to live.”  He smiled, caressing my cheek.  His warm hand trailed down to my neck and pulled me in for a tender kiss.  His lips were so warm against mine, filling me with an unbelievable sense of comfort.  As the kiss began to intensify our lips parted, breathing the hot air of love and desire into the other as our tongues began to entwine in the perfect rhythm. 
The next thing I knew, I was laying on my back as Danny leaned over me grasping my neck and my ribs, pulling my body into his.  I, too, was losing control as I clutched a handful of his hair with one hand and his bicep with the other.  We were gasping for air through our noses as our lungs and hearts screamed out with vigilance.  Danny finally pulled away, leaving my breath to stagger as I felt his lips begin to trail just under my ear and down my neck to my shoulder.  There was nothing shy about his advances as he lifted a portion of my shirt and began to leave short kisses along my stomach and up my ribs.  I let out a small moan at the sensation and it caused him to pause for a moment, as if asking permission to continue.
Suddenly, I was pulling his face back to mine as we continued to kiss ever-so passionately.  I loved every minute of it and I didn’t want this to stop.  I didn’t care how far this went at this point.  I was that young girl in the stairwell, thirsting for whatever desire Danny would give me.  I was his.  Who knew what I had been missing for the past eight years.
Danny’s entire body was on top of me now, pressing down upon me as he deepened every kiss.  We were wild, simply out of control, and I loved it.  Danny was hesitant, but finally tested the waters by letting his hand explore under my shirt.  When he found my breast and gave it a tight squeeze, I couldn’t do anything but cry out with pleasure.  This drove him even further as I felt my shirt slip over my head, exposing two very perky breasts.  Danny hovered over them, somewhat in awe.  But this only lasted a moment for the next thing I knew, his mouth had latched onto one of my nipples while an empty hand teased the other.
He let his whole body relax against mine as he continued – it was like we had melded into one.  Suddenly, I felt his thighs press against me and along with it I felt my new object of desire.  He pressed against me again and the hardness sent electricity through me – this time it started in between my legs and shot all through my body, making me tremble.  At this, Danny brought his lips back up to my ear.
“Jade… do you want to?”  He whispered his inquiry so quietly that it was almost inaudible.  I really didn’t answer, but my actions were enough I suppose.  My hands traveled down his back and to his boxer shorts.  Without another thought, I slowly removed them as far as my arms would let me.  It was just enough and I felt him spring to life as it escaped from its cloth barrier.
That was all he needed to continue.  I felt my panties slip down my legs followed by traces of his lips along my inner thigh.  Then I felt Danny press it just in between my legs.  He rubbed it up and down, driving both of us wild.  I was so wet that it would slide right in without hesitation.
“Jade, love… you’re sure?”  Danny checked before he continued.
“Yeah…”  I was all I could say as I stared deep within his gorgeous eyes.  Who knew this was where this would end up.  And with that thought running through my mind, he slowly pressed himself inside.  Though getting it in was easier than it should’ve been, as he began to thrust, it almost made me feel as if I was a virgin again.  After all, it had been many years since I’d had sex and all of the tightness and pressure I had remembered as a teenager had returned to me.
We didn’t last very long.  It had just been too long for either of us and we were too sensitive as a consequence.  Nearly 20 minutes later I felt my entire body stiffen up and then a shudder shot through us both, interrupting my blissful state of pleasure, heat, and sweat.  I wasn’t sure if I had gone off, but I knew the feeling was indescribable – like a bolt of lightning.  I felt Danny thrust once more and finish as well, the slight twitch of him inside of me continued the spasm of my inner thighs.
Danny and I laid there, panting, sweating, holding onto each other like there was no tomorrow.  Well, maybe there isn’t. My mind rudely interrupted.  Finally, Danny rolled to the side of me and we both laid on our backs, gasping for air.  Neither of us said anything about the sex – we didn’t need to; there were just no words to describe it.  I turned to the side and nestled my body against his as he put an arm around me.
“Jade…”  Danny muttered in between a breath.  “After all this, I think that you and I should just resign and start a life together.  What do you say?”  He was being random – probably swept up in the emotions of the moment.  But all in all, I liked the idea.
“I like it.  We could go live near the ocean.”  I smiled at the thought.  I was rambling as well, but I couldn’t help myself.
“Yeah.  Just you and me.”  He said.
“And maybe Airika.”  I corrected and we both laughed until we settled into each other and began to drift off to sleep.
“Jade, I love you girl.”  Danny whispered and he squeezed me tight.
“I love you too, Danny.”  I returned as I closed my eyes and began to dream of a day when there was no battle to look forward to.

***

Italy seemed like it would have been a beautiful place to visit.  It’s just a shame that we were there on murder detail.  If it weren’t for the fact that Quentin had done so much wrong to us, personally, Danny and I would’ve been out of it already.  But we had agreed that he had done too much to be let go.  He had done too much to even have the satisfaction of someone else killing him.  No… we were going to be the ones to end it for him, and he was going to pay.  I couldn’t give a shit about the others, and for all I cared if Jared, Ditto, Zulu, and Yazi stayed out of it, they could die by someone else’s bullet.  But of course, it wouldn’t be that simple.  They would try to protect Quentin and we’d have to fight them as well.  But the funniest part was, we were going in with an advantage this time.  They didn’t even know that Danny and I were still alive.
We weren’t allowed to stay anywhere in Rome for fear of being seen.  So instead, we stayed in the nearby town of Tivoli.  Tivoli was a beautiful place and we were staying right in the heart of it.  The location of the Luddites was in a convent turned extravagant villa and Italian garden that was created in the early 1500s.  The building was so old, but its splendor remained to this day. And though we were staying in a rich setting of history and magnificence, I still wanted to see Rome.  I think most of all, I wanted so badly to see the Colosseum.  Perhaps when it’s all over.  It was hard to believe that after this Danny and I were going to resign and attempt to live a normal life.  Well, as normal as it could be with us, especially if Airika came along.  Only Danny and I knew of our plan.  Hell, no one else even knew that we were lovers.  We had even kept Airika in the dark this long, which wasn’t an easy task.
It was the night before our raid and everyone was tense.  Danny, Airika, and I were meeting with Magner and Jameson.  We had just finished going over the final details for our mission, and once again, Magner was making things difficult.
“I still think that once you guys breach the facility and locate Trintas then that’s when we should send the rest of the troops in.  It’s more secure and they won’t know what hit them.  It’s the perfect setup.”  He ranted on his stupid antics. 
“And I still think that is a bullshit idea.  If we’ve made it that far undetected then why alert the whole fucking base by sending in the rest of the troops?”  Danny fired against him.  He was pissed at Magner, but who could blame him?
“Watch your mouth against your commanding officer.”  Magner scolded Danny.
“I hate to say anything, but Jameson is our commanding officer, Magner.”  I pointed out, surprisingly calm, even though Magner was making us all pretty irritated.
“They have a point Magner.  And I hate to say it, but I’m going to have to side with them on this one.  You and your troops will remain as backup and will only attack with a call from any of these three.  Is that understood?”  Jameson spook up. Finally.  Magner nodded with a ‘yes sir’ but he was pissed and he stormed out of the room before anything else was said.  With that, we were dismissed to just relax and rest up before tomorrow night.
Everyone went their separate ways for now.  Everywhere I went, I found other troops mingling, playing cards, drinking, just the normal shit.  They were acting as if they were at one big party and it disgusted me.  I didn’t know half of them, but I was fine with that.  I just didn’t want anyone random approaching me tonight.
I continued to walk along a beautiful mosaic path of fleur-de-lis.  The sound of waterfalls, fountains, and cascading streams put my nerves at peace.  Something had me on edge tonight.  Something just didn’t feel right.  But I took it as the normal battle anxiety and shook it off.  I walked over to a statue of the she-wolf nursing Romulus and Remus and just stood there a while, silently requesting her protection for the following night.  I didn’t really believe in Roman mythology, but I suppose it didn’t hurt. 
Glancing over to my right, I saw an opening in the gardens that overlooked Rome at a distance.  In that opening, I could make out Danny staring out at the bright city.
“Everything all right?”  I whispered as I placed a hand at the small of his back.
“Just taking it all in, I guess.”  He murmured, still gazing at the bright lights from afar.
“Did you know that the cardinal that lived here always kept a view of Rome in his gardens because he thought that one day he was sure to return as pope?”  I boasted my knowledge, trying to lighten the mood.  I could tell that both of us were on edge tonight, but I suppose it was normal.
“When did you get so canny with Italian history?”  He laughed, finally turning to face me.  I shrugged and smiled an innocent grin.  Danny returned by caressing my cheek and taking a step closer.
“Not here Danny.”  I mumbled, putting my hands on his chest and stopping him in his tracks.  It had been a long journey here and it made it even longer having to play out the charade that there was nothing between us.
“Then let’s get outta here.”  He sent me a devilish smirk and that was all I needed.
Moments later we were just outside villa and deep within an olive grove.  We were running through the little trees like we were children caught up in a game of tag.  Then Danny caught me.  I felt myself being forced to the ground and Danny was immediately on top of me fumbling with the zipper for my shirt.  His lips grazed my collarbone and up to my jawline.  Already we were out of breath, wrapped up in the moment of sweet sensuality, seduction, and sex.
I woke up the next morning completely naked and lying next to the love of my life with olive branches tangled in my hair.  I had lost track of how many times we had made love the night before, but I didn’t know you could feel hung-over from a night full of sex.  As I stood up to reach for my clothes, Danny stirred awake and sat up.
“Morning, beautiful.”  He yawned as he rubbed his eyes and looked up at me.  “Do you have to do that, love?”  He complained as I began putting on my undergarments.  I chuckled but paid no attention to his comment.  Frustrated that I was ignoring him, he stood up and walked over to me.  I couldn’t take my eyes off of his gorgeous body.  Who knew a man could be so beautiful under his clothes.  Damn it all, he took my breath completely away along with my focus and the next thing I knew he made love to me again as I braced myself against an olive tree.
***
“Jade Vantishi, where the hell have you been?!”  Airika screamed as I walked through the door to our room. 
“Sorry, I knew that you’d be worried.”  I began my well-planned excuse. “Danny and I had been discussing today’s strategy last night and we fell asleep.  I knew the second that I woke up that you probably had the entire base looking for me. So I rushed back here as fast as I could.”  I explained.  It was sort of true.  Danny and I had talked about the procedures in between one of our ‘sessions.’
“Well, just so you know, I hadn’t told anyone.  I figured you were gone for good reason.  In fact, I had hoped that Danny had swept you off your feet or something.”  She burst into laughter as if the thought was impossible.  But I laughed too, so as not to be awkward.  “Anyways, so what’s you guys’s thoughts on the mission?”  She inquired.
“We don’t have a good feeling about it, Airika.”  I heard Danny’s voice in the doorway.  “It seems too easy and with Quentin’s record in the past, I’d say it’s a setup all over again.  And with the way Magner’s been acting, I’d say that even if this is a legitimate ambush, he’ll fuck it up before we get to Quentin.”
“So, are you thinking that we should call an out?”  Airika suggested.
“Now is that anything like us?”  I mocked.
“I say we load up and go now before Magner and his troops have a chance to assemble and fuck us over.”  Danny offered.
“Well hell, I’m in.”  Airika grinned as we threw our hands into a cliché pact like the fucking three musketeers.
***
About an hour and a half later, the three of us were armed and at the back gate of the facility.  It was about 5 blocks from the Colosseum, but I still didn’t get to go see it.  The place looked abandoned, but of course, that meant nothing at all.  The three of us donned our black masks and scaled the metal gate with no problem.  So far so good, but still it was all too easy.  The hinge of the back door was blown apart, leaving the door barley hanging in its frame.
“This is it.”  Danny muttered as he loaded up his sniper rifle and strapped it across his back.  Pulling out a couple of M4s and loaded them up as well.  Airika was giggling to herself as she took a grenade from her belt and put it up under her tweed cap.  That crazy girl had a pocket sewed in the thing for just such an occasion.  Then she grasped the handle of her MP5 and made sure it was loaded up.
“Can I just say that you look hot in the mask, girl?”  Danny mocked as I loaded up my set of uzis and holstered one of them back in my belt. 
“Let’s stick to real firearms, eh?”  I joked, tapping him in the crotch with the barrel of my gun.  I didn’t want to give anything away between us, and it seemed like an appropriate comment no matter who was listening.
“And here we go.”  Airika exclaimed as we went through the door and into a dark hallway.  The corridor only led to one room and that was the door straight ahead of us, but it seemed like an eternity to get there.  Literally, the hallway probably spanned a few blocks and all the while it slanted downhill.  Who knew how far we had went underground.  Danny led the three of us and Airika brought up the rear.  Being in the middle, I was watching front, rear, and all sides.  And as Danny opened the door at the end of the hall, all emotion switched off and instinct took over. 
The room we went in was more like a huge bunker and we were on the second floor of it.  It was dimly lit and had boxes and shit laying everywhere.  We made our way down one of the set of metal stairs leading to the bottom floor.  At first we thought we would split up, but it took no time at all to figure out what dark masses surrounded us.
“A.I.s”  I whispered. 
“What?”  Danny called as he raced back over to where I was standing.  I flipped on a flashlight and ran it down the wall I was facing, row after row after row of A.I. soldiers filled the entire facility. 
“Maybe their rundown or in storage.”  Airika concluded right behind us, making us jump slightly.
“You know, maybe she’s right.  None of them look like they’ve been in operation for quite some time.”  Danny muttered as he wiped a thick layer of dust from one of them.
“Seems that way.  But why would there be this many in one rundown location.  It just doesn’t make sense.”  I muttered aloud, pondering to myself.  Then from the end of the room we heard a loud outburst of shouting.  It was a high-pitched anxious voice, but I couldn’t tell what he was screeching about.  But I knew the voice all too well.
“Quentin…”  I whispered, signaling to the end of the bunker.  As we approached the closed door, I could see light pouring out from underneath followed by shadows pacing, blocking the light for moments at a time.  There was more than one person inside, and I could probably guess who all was there.  But only one voice rang out above the others.
“What do you mean they’ve infiltrated our manufacturing structure?!”  Quentin screamed, waiting for an answer.  Shit… had they figured us out? But how?  Airika eyed me, waiting for the signal to bust through the door.  Well, if they already knew about us then why put off the inevitable?  But Danny held up his fist, signaling us to wait.
“Quentin, it seems that a legion of troops from the Luddite faction has penetrated our undisclosed facility under the Colosseum.”  I heard Jared’s familiar voice divulge.  So they didn’t know about us. “Shall we dispatch the A.I. subdivision then?”  He continued.
“As we planned then?”  Airika whispered.  She looked to me, I looked to Danny, and Danny nodded.  Then it all went down faster than I could follow. 
Airika burst through the door firing her gun at anything that moved, while Danny and I reluctantly waited for our cue.  I heard a scream and someone fall to the floor.  Well hopefully she at least took one of the henchmen down. 
“Zulu! Zulu!”  I heard a female voice screaming.  That would be Ditto, no doubt there, and apparently Airika had taken out Zulu.  That was definitely a positive since it was he that took me out last time with an object to the head.
“Someone get her!” I heard Quentin call.  There was a brief struggle and in the end I could hear them take Airika down.  “Now hold her down.  And Jared, to answer your question, before we were so rudely interrupted, yes, please send the A.I.s immediately. 
“You’re not going to get away with this, Quentin!  There are others on the way!”  I heard Airika call out.  My turn.  I glanced at Danny who nodded, reminding me that that was my cue, then I was thru the door, Uzis spraying every which way.  I saw Ditto running towards me – a simple target since I knew that the main operations for a human-turned-A.I. could only be in the brain.  A few quick spurts of ammo to the face and she was down and sparking out her mouth and eyes.  I ran over and pulled out my knife, cutting all of the major wires that were exposed.  This bitch was not getting up.
But as I got up, someone else had the same idea for me.  As I got to my feet, I felt the butt of a gun strike me across the forehead, sending me to the floor right beside Ditto.  Still a bit dizzy, I felt myself being raised to the floor by two strong arms.  I was held there, stuck in the arms of Jared Subarante.  And Mr. Subarante wasn’t as weak physically as his attitude.  But I suppose that’s how they go, all brawns and no brains.
“Now, will you remove their masks so I can see their faces before they die?”  Quentin said impatiently.
“Who says we’re the ones who are going to die, asshole?” Airika spouted off as Yazi removed her mask.
“Hey, I know you!  You were the girl I almost fucked on the boat!”  Yazi exclaimed when he revealed Airika.  “Hey, I bet I can give ya a quicky before they kill you, babe.”  He taunted grabbing Airika’s boobs.  She turned her head back towards him and whispered her sweet nothings.
“Could ya now, sugar?  That’s such a sweet offer.”  It was just enough to distract Yazi as Airika wriggled her away around and kicked him square in the balls. “But you can go to hell you worthless piece of shit!”  She screamed as he bent over holding his family jewels with tender care.  As she went to grab he gun that had been kicked to the side, Quentin surprisingly withdrew his own gun and held it at the back of Airika’s head. Well I didn’t expect him to be packing.
“Airika dear, stand up like a good girl and put your hands on the back of your head.”  Yes, yes, yes, yes!  “Now, let me guess who this is.”  But before he guessed, he threw back my mask and cast it to the side.  “I should’ve known you wouldn’t die so easily.  Now what do I owe the pleasure?  Another round of ‘I’m here to avenge my dead boyfriend’?”  He laughed at his own pathetic joke. I, well I did the oldest trick in the book.  I spat in his face, giving Airika just the time she needed to pull the pin from her tweed cap and throw it to the ground.  Who knew an Irish hat could cause that much of an explosion. 
I was knocked free from Jared’s grip and I quickly stood back up and grabbed my Uzis.  I held him at gunpoint while Airika grabbed her MP5 from the floor and held it to Quentin’s face.  Danny ran through the door at his cue.  He looked around to see who needed taken out. 
“You can take Yazi back there.”  I nodded behind where Airika stood.  Danny went to take down Yazi only to find a bloody body where he once stood. 
“Aww come on guys.  You couldn’t leave me anyone?”  He complained glancing around to find the only two left alive to be Jared and Quentin.
“Who knew?”  I muttered.
“Death by Irish cap.”  Airika mocked and we had a nice laugh before we got down to business.
“But… but… who?”  Quentin whined in his anxious pitch.  At that, Danny removed his mask and stepped forward with a gun to Quentin’s face.
“Surprise mother fucker.  I’m back from the dead, bitch.”  He laughed. 
“Danny, did you really just say that?”  I teased.  But seriously?
“A little too over the top?”  Danny glanced back and laughed at me.
“Ugh… yeah.”  Another good laugh.  It was a good night.
“But… you can’t be alive.” Quentin continued sputtering his disbelief. 
“And neither can you, Quentin Trintas.  After all you’ve done, you’re time here is done.”  Danny pressed the barrel of his M4 between Quentin’s eyes.  “But wait, I don’t want to be selfish.  You’ve done harm to others in this room as well.  I think she should have a part in this.  Care to join me, love?”  Danny inquired in my direction.  I nodded in enthusiasm. 
“He’s all yours Airika.”  I exchanged hostages with her and she couldn’t be more excited.  She pulled another grenade from her belt and smiled. 
“Oh Jared, we’re going to have so much fun.”  She laughed as she took him back out into the bunker area.  Meanwhile, I made my way over to Quentin.
“No no no!  You can’t do this to me!  You are in the wrong on the situation.  All of you Luddites are in the wrong!”
“That’s why we’re doing this as an individual request.  You did us wrong and we’re here to repay it.”  Danny said.
“It won’t matter what you do to me.  You will not leave here alive!  Your entire faction is already dead!  All of those pitiful soldiers that attacked our Colosseum base are laying in the field where thousands of gladiators died in ancient history.  Isn’t it ironic?”  Quentin began to laugh hysterically.  “And now those A.I.s from the bunker are heading back here to finish you off!”  He laughed again.  I just continued to glare at him and his lies. Did he have a death wish?  “Don’t believe me?  Just hit the monitor.  We sent them out right after Airika showed up.”  He laughed some more.  I couldn’t help it, I hit the screen to reveal a bloodbath strewed across the remains of an ancient Roman structure.  Well… you got to see your Colosseum after all. 
I turned away and back to Quentin.  This bastard had to die.
“Clean or dirty, love?”  Danny inquired.  He knew that we both wanted a part of this act and there was a way we could.
“Dirty.” I spoke as I whipped out the blade from my boot and slit it across Quentin’s throat without another word.  He gurgled and gasped, but it didn’t last long.  Danny squeezed the trigger to his MP5 and blood splattered everywhere.
“Guess neither way was clean, huh?”  Danny tried to laugh but an explosion from the bunker reminded us of Airika.
“Uh, guys, we have a major problem.”  Airika came running in and behind her, clear across the huge bunker, came hundreds of A.I.s their eyes glowing an eeire blue.  She ran into the small room and started throwing grenades left and right out the door, but it wasn’t enough.
“So this is it.”  I muttered as I withdrew my Uzis once again.
“This is it.”  Danny exclaimed as he grabbed my shoulders and gave me one last parting kiss.  “Always love ya girl.”  He shouted as he ran through the door, guns blazing.
“Love you too.”  I muttered and ran out after him, my Uzis flaring rapidly through the machines.
“Well it’s about damn time!”  Airika exclaimed as she followed close behind, unleashing holy hell on the mechanical bastards. 
“If you only knew!”  I screamed back at her as the first A.I. crossed over my barrier.
We fought as hard as we knew how.  We fought to the end.  But in the end, we were severely outnumbered.  I suppose we knew it going into the fight.  But it’s all we knew how to do, it’s what we were made for.  And I suppose we weren’t so different then them in the end.  We fought blindlessly for something that could never be won.  But we had lived.  And as the gunfire opened up on us and darkness swept around me, I only regretted not living sooner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment