Alter Existence: The World Within - "About" Blurb

Alter Existence: The World Within - "About" Blurb

Axel Sullivan was your typical man trying to make it in a mundane world of bad habits, new jobs, and that never-ending search for the perfect piece of ass. For him, life was in an endless routine of morning jogs, peanut butter sandwiches, 2nd shifts at a new security job and weekends out with his drunken cousin. With nicotine addiction as his only worry, Axel never really minded the monotonous existence he took part in. That was until he mysteriously wakes up in a world ruled by nature itself and his only way out is to destroy the human corruption he has been a part of for so long.

Alter Existence: The World Within - Book Cover

Alter Existence:  The World Within  - Book Cover
The book cover for the novel you are currently reading (created by yours truly)

Monday, July 11, 2011

S.L.J.V. - Chapter 21


Chapter Twenty-One
That First Taste of It

Today was a much needed change in the rage that I had been feeling at school.  The room was completely silent with the exception of calculators clicking, pages rattling, and pencils writing.  It was the last week of school before Christmas break and today was an exam day.  Given that I teach art, my exam had been days ago – which was probably a good thing given all of the snow days and delays we’d had in the last week.  So today, I’m proctoring a pre-calculus test.  I pray that they don’t have any questions, or at least they don’t expect me to know any answers because like hell I’d know anything to do with this.  Now, don’t get me wrong, when I was in high school myself, I was pretty damn smart – or at least I thought I was.  I was in a math analysis class when I was a senior, which was the top math class you could take back then.  Back then – man I say it like it was forever ago.  But I suppose, even though it doesn’t seem that long, when I think that the students I’m proctoring now where probably 10 years old – well I guess that puts it in perspective.
I’m really not sure what had happened to me since then.  I believe that maybe during college my brain moved towards the right side, embracing the creative aspect of myself.  The way I think of it is that while I was so in tune with the concept of creativity, my intelligence in the logical hemisphere dwindled severely.  But even though there are times that I feel like I’m inferior in intelligence – maybe even stupid – I think I would still rather be more creative and skillful in the arts when given the choice.  
Seriously, I wouldn’t have been able to create my Technological Singularity had it not been for my creative eye.  The greatest part is that he’s nearly complete, lacking a few minor adjustments and some technological additions.  I think I’m going to make him light up on the inside using a battery and a Christmas bulb.  Now that would be an awesome addendum.  I have 2 weeks until the art show and for once, I’m excited – even proud – to show off what I have done.  I suppose most of that is due to the fact that my husband took one look at my work and couldn’t stop going on about it.  He even went as far as to brag to his coworkers about it.  He may not realize it, but when he likes something that I’ve done my whole world tends to light up.  I don’t think he understands the power that his praise holds on me.
But with that aside, I’m proud (for once) of my accomplishments.  I’m proud that I have creating something I want to show off.  I’m just… fulfilled.  I’ve tasted success and now I crave it more than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment